Friday, July 23, 2010

Growing Pains

Functionally I'm insecure. Most people who know me well know this. It's not a particularly large declaration. Nothing shocking in it. But it's something that I have to remind myself of and be reminded of from time to time because it has a tendency to shape my actions and my responses to things. Which is never a good thing. I don't know that I've ever accomplished much good out of a place of insecurity.

One of the ways this manifests itself is that I have a tendency to try and curry favor with people because I feel like if anyone gets to know me well enough, they'll realize that I'm really not worth the time. Which usually makes me care way too much about what other people think.

The really bent thing about all this is that I also have a tendency to carry this into my relationship with God. I often don't believe He loves me, I think that if he does he'll probably figure out eventually that I'm not really worth loving, and in the end I try really hard to make him like me. Because maybe if I do enough stuff he'll be fooled long enough to not figure out who I really am.

This is so messed up.

I'm realizing (thanks to friends, the book "Blue Like Jazz," and the Old Testament) that I really never did anything to be loved in the first place. God loves me, desperately, always has, doesn't change in that love, loves me even when he gets to know me more, loves me whether I do good stuff or bad stuff, just plain loves me.

I don't like that.

I have a really hard accepting that people might like all the parts of who I am. But the insanely freeing thing about that is that it's not about me in the first place. I'm starting to realize what it means to love God because he loved me first. I'm also starting to realize that entering into that sort of relationship means I don't have to "try so hard." I get to be with him, take part in what he's doing, marvel at how awesome the stuff he does is, be stoked that I get to be around when it happens. It really doesn't matter that I was there, it's his show I'm just stoked to be a part of the production.

No comments: