Monday, June 15, 2009

3S1P: Let Yourself Go

1) "11 AM" Incubus
2) "Walk With Me" Caedmon's Call
3) "Mercury" Bloc Party

I think most people want to dance. Whether they like to admit it or not, they want to dance. In every country I've visited, dance is an underlying form of expression. Whether it's sorrow, celebration, or just social, they dance. And I think that if you get to the core of most people, they want to let themselves go a little bit and just go for it. They want to make fools of themselves, let the moment take them. Most of the time, however they let that desire get covered over in other people's opinions, a desire to look cool, a fear that they have no rhythm, etc. etc. But let's be honest, we all want to drop it like it's hot. That being said, we usually don't.

I remember going to a club in Canada when I was in the Navy and being out on the dance floor with a bunch of people from my ship. I tried to keep it in the pocket. Dance along the lines of what Will Smith shows Kevin James in Hitch. I wanted to have fun while not embarrassing myself. At the same time, though, a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, just went for it. He didn't have the best rhythm, he didn't have the best moves, but he went for it. Later another buddy remarked "what [insert name here] lacks in rhythm he more than makes up for in enthusiasm"

This, in a nutshell, is why I love Bloc Party. They make rock to dance to. Sometimes they make dance music to dance to. Sometimes it's badly done, sometimes it has ridiculous lyrics, but what they lack in making a song that you really latch onto, they always make up for in enthusiasm. "Mercury" is kind of a rehash of their other song "The Prayer" and it doesn't have the best beat. But! It has a horn section! It has ridiculously over the top synth effects. It's not afraid to be as over the top as it wants to be. It may not be the catchiest song, but it more than makes up for it in enthusiasm. I'd be lying if I said that didn't win me over every time.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Hmm...I think I know of the friend you mention! Great post, CW.

Whytey said...

Thanks Drain-O! Yeah, that was one heck of a port visit.