Tuesday, June 9, 2009

3S1P: Day Three

1. "The Kill" 30 Seconds to Mars
2. "Think About It" Flight of the Conchords
3. "Love is a Battlefield" Pat Benatar

Wow... really? I'm really going to blog on Pat Benatar this morning? This is going to be an exercise. I have to be honest. There's a part of me that misses the unbridled optimism of the 80s. Of course that was also a time period where we were ridiculously self-centered, materialistic, and probably running ourselves into the ground, but DANG ... we were happy! This may actually be my favorite 80s song because it's the kind of fist pumping pop track that is on one hand really inspiring "we are young... no one can tell us we're wrong!" and at the same time mindful of the fact that it has no idea what it's talking about "heartache to heartache we stand ... no promises no demands." Honestly, there's probably something to be learned there.

I went through a phase in college, like most of us, where I was very confident of the fact that I knew everything... I may actually still be in that phase. But the funny thing about thinking you know everything is your behavior usually displays the exact opposite. You end up making a lot of stupid decisions/ending up in lame relationships to spite yourself. I still remember driving 4 hours to hang out with a girl who would hang out with me but whenever I asked her if she wanted to date would say "not right now." To a sane man, that would be a HUGE signal that this was not the right tree to be barking up. But to me, because I knew better, I kept driving that stinking four hour highway to rejection. In that moment... only Pat Benatar knew what I was feeling. We'll call them the Benatar days... wait, that sounds kinda lame/femme/sketch... we'll call them the 80s days.

That all being said, I'm glad I'm a little less in that phase than I used to be.

No comments: