Thursday, July 7, 2011

3S1P: Memory knots

1) "Most of the Time" Bob Dylan
2) "Older Chests" Damien Rice
3) "Atoms for Peace" Thom Yorke

It's interesting how often we allow the circumstances of where we're at determine the course of where we're going. That made no sense. Or maybe it did. That definitely could have been one of those deeper statements that I could have pulled off with a sort of aloof, enlightened cool if I'd sold it right. But I'm writing and that seems impossible. Never mind.

Thom Yorke is incredible. He's just one of those artists who manages to effortlessly produce these incredible tracks that are emotional resonant and rattle around in your head for days. "Atoms for Peace" isn't really one of those songs for me. I'll be honest, it's not one of my favorite Yorke tracks. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Radiohead and his solo stuff, but it's just one of those songs that I can listen to or pass on and be fine either way. But there's a single line in this song that just gets me. "No more talk about the old days, it's time for something great. I want to get out and make it work."

How often do we allow the places we've come from, the stuff we're still hanging on to, the life that we can't grow out of determine the steps that we take. How often does our past prevent us from being/becoming what we're made to become. There's something incredibly freeing about acknowledging nostalgia and then letting go of it to move forward. I just wish I did that more often.

1 comment:

Emmet said...

You have no idea how much effort goes into looking effortless.